I used to love to watch the 1970s TV show, The Brady Bunch. They lived in California and had the grooviest house. It seemed so modern and totally opposite of our simple ranch style home here in North Carolina. Since Mr. Brady was an architect, he custom designed the large, suburban, split-level house, which was quite a popular design for its time. Although the design is no longer considered modern, these homes have good “bones” allowing them a greater remodel potential. Even if you don’t have a groovy 1960s split-level like The Brady’s had, if you feel your home’s exterior is dated or out of style, Belk Builders can work with you to give your home a facelift for more curb appeal.
Seven ways to bring your home’s exterior into the 21st century:
- You’re not stuck with stucco – “Synthetic stucco” was popular about 15-20 years ago as an exterior finish product on many homes. The material used behind the stucco led to black mold and severe moisture problems on many of these homes. If you’d like to replace the synthetic stucco on your home, Belk Builders can conduct a free assessment and quote for installing upscale vinyl or Hardie® Siding to totally transform the look of your home.
- Use a more modern roof color – A roof protects the complete structure of your home while also improving your home’s aesthetics. Changing up the style or color will give your home a whole new face. We can upgrade your 70’s and 80’s roof color (even the lighter colors used predominately in the 60’s) to an upscale shingle color and style conducive with today’s market and styles. This includes updating all the architectural details including shutter style, material and color.
Update the front door – Entry doors are a huge area that benefits from updating. The style of your home’s entry door can give your home a “dated” look — such as the paneled doors, and even side entry and rear doors that are those old aluminum and glass sliders that let air in and accumulate tons of dirt in their slider tracks. These old doors were not energy-efficient and were very heavy to operate too! Belk uses top quality replacement doors including today’s energy-efficient sliders that are hinged at the top and contain a roller with ball bearings that are fully adjustable.
- Add shutters or accent trim – Shutters and trim add a welcoming layer of beauty and curb appeal to your home’s exterior. Molding acts like an architectural defining border when applied to the sides and top of the doorway. Shutters also control light and ventilation, and provide additional security. Exterior shutters can be made of wood, aluminum, vinyl, composite, or fiberglass. New composite materials, such as PVC resins or polyurethane, make trim details durable, low maintenance features.
- Upgrade or remove the skylights – Many new constructions, especially with tract builder neighborhoods installed builder grade skylights, or the acrylic domes into their homes. These skylights are much lower quality than what Belk Builders installs in homes today. They leak over time; they also can crack during storms or even cause extensive rafter and roof damage. The homeowner’s options are to remove the old skylights and reroof the home without any skylights, or replace the skylights with an upscale, high quality replacement such as Velux skylights.
Step up to energy-efficient windows – Steel and aluminum windows from the 50’s and even the 60’s can still be found in and around Charlotte. These old windows are like throwing money away in terms of power costs lost, and energy efficiency. Replacement windows offer a full list of benefits: improved curb appeal, increased safety and security, greater noise control, easier to operate and maintenance free!
- Convert the screened porch into a sunroom – As long as the room is structurally sound enough to allow for the weight of the windows, we can also convert your screened porch into a sunroom in many cases. This will extend the living area of your home as well as increase its curb appeal.
Belk Builders specializes in providing the highest quality vinyl siding and trim, premium roofing replacement and window replacement to our customers to update your home’s exterior. In addition we are the Charlotte area’s premier Hardie® Plank siding installer. We are here to help bring your home’s exterior into the 21st century and reveal its true potential.
For homes of all ages in the Charlotte area Belk Builders is the premier choice for your exterior home project, no matter how small or large. Contact us at (704) 400-4710 or visit our website today to learn more, or schedule a free estimate.