Benjamin Franklin’s idiom, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” can be applied to almost every aspect of our lives. Isn’t it easier to stop something from happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it has happened? Consistently, the areas which top the list for preventative measures are: personal health, vehicles and homes. Surprisingly enough, even though homes are in the top 3, it’s typically regarding the inside and inner workings; i.e. carpet, appliances, HVAC systems etc., and not the windows, siding or roofing. Too often homeowners don’t think about regular checkups or maintenance for their home’s exterior with the same tenacity as they do for themselves or their automobiles. That is, until something drastic happens and by then, the costs are considerably larger.
Your home is a reflection of you and your personal success and is typically the single largest investment you will make. Like a fine wine, a well maintained home will appreciate in value over time, but can easily turn into a bitter swill if you don’t perform regular inspections and service to maximize your investment. Dedicated routine maintenance and any needed replacements or remodeling can protect the value and equity you’ve earned from all the blood, sweat, and tears you expended in establishing your home. In fact, the newly released 2015 Cost vs. Value Report from Remodeling.net has information comparing the average cost for 35 popular remodeling projects with the value those projects retain at resale, right here in the Queen City…which, by the way, increased this year.
Here is a look at the cost recoup data for both upscale and midrange projects in Charlotte:
Upscale Siding Replacement using Fiber Cement Siding (such as Hardie Plank) shows a cost recoup of 93.8% — 1,250 square feet of existing siding was replaced with new fiber cement siding, factory primed and factory painted, including all 4/4 and 5/4 trim using either fiber-cement boards or cellular PVC.
- Upscale Siding Replacement using Premium Foam-Backed Vinyl Siding shows a cost recoup of 82.7% — 1,250 square feet of existing siding was replaced with new foam-backed vinyl siding, including factory trim at all openings and corners.
- Midrange Siding Replacement with Vinyl Siding shows a cost recoup of 63.5% — 1,250 square feet of existing siding was replaced with new vinyl siding, including all trim.
- Upscale Roofing Replacement reflected a cost recoup of 70.5% — Existing roofing was removed to bare wood sheathing and disposed of properly. 30 squares of standing-seam metal, formed on site into 16-inch panels using factory-enameled roll steel with all seams double-locked were installed. Custom brake-bent flashing from same material for drip edge and all flashing at roof-wall intersections was used. Assumed a 5-square hip roof; custom flashing at two average-sized skylights; and custom cap treatment at vented ridge. Applied over new felt underlayment; used ice-and water membrane at eaves, valleys, and all penetrations.
- Midrange Roofing Replacement reflected a cost recoup of 72.7% — Existing roofing was removed to bare wood sheathing and disposed of properly. 30 squares of 235-pound fiberglass asphalt shingles (min. 25-year warranty) were installed with new felt underlayment, galvanized drip edge, and mill-finish aluminum flashing. Assumed a 5-square hip roof; custom flashing at two average size skylights; and custom cap treatment at vented ridge.
Upscale Vinyl Window Replacement reflected a cost recoup of 80.3% — 10 existing 3-by-5-foot double-hung windows were replaced with insulated, low-E, simulated-divided-lite vinyl windows with as simulated wood-grain interior finish and custom-color exterior finish. Trim exterior to matched existing; did not disturb existing interior trim.
- Midrange Vinyl Window Replacement reflected a cost recoup of 63.0% — 10 existing 3-by-5-foot double-hung windows were replaced with insulated vinyl replacement windows and the existing exterior trim was wrapped as required to match. Did not disturb existing interior trim.
Belk Builders is the Charlotte areas’ complete home exterior company and we are ready to handle your upscale roofing, siding and replacement window needs. We have over 25 years’ experience in helping homeowners in the Queen City maintain and improve their home’s facade with only the highest quality exterior products on the market. In addition to being a respected member of Angie’s List, we are also an accredited member of the BBB of the Southern Piedmont and are members of the Greater Charlotte Chapter of NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry.)
As a homeowner, it’s up to you how you choose to preserve your dwelling. A poorly maintained home loses value, runs inefficiently inflating utility costs, and requires more money for upkeep as well as repair costs. However, your routinely inspected, well maintained and updated home will only increase in value while it protects you and your family as time passes. If you are ready to learn how Belk Builders can help you, contact us at (704) 400-4710 or visit our website today to learn more, or schedule a free estimate!
Siding, Window Replacement, Roofing & More!